Donations

I am somewhat torn at the moment. I believe, wholeheartedly, that artists should be rewarded and compensated for their work. But that doesn't always happen. Often, we get short-changed for our efforts as the greater capitalist machine seems to misunderstand the power and purpose of art. And yet I put a call out to the ether to ask my friends and colleagues if they would donate images to me, free of charge, to make my second book as truly beneficial to the photography student as it can possibly be.

The reaction has been overwhelming. Not only have well established photographers agreed to be a part of this process, but they have given me names of up-and-comers, unknowns, and other greats to ask for donations as well. The benefit? Hopefully a little bit of exposure for everyone, general feelings of well-being, and increased karma points.

Should we be compensated for what we do? Absolutely. Yet as the artistic community has proven to me time and time again, we support each other, work for each other, and call on each other when we are in need. This call out for images has reunited me with some great people and even better photographers and opened my eyes to the possibilities of working with new people on articles, personality profiles, and other collaborations that will help all parties involved, financially as well as with exposure. Two articles have already come out of this communicative environment as well as one book suggestion.

I am not sure I believe wholeheartedly in karma, but I do believe in the artistic community. And over the past month, that community has reminded me of its power, its strength, and its humbling generosity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Really is the Purpose?

Hello World!

Recognize the Wins