Well, I Guess That's One Way

I used to fairly heavily believe in the concept that everything happens for a reason. Even to a highly superstitious level. (Though, clearly, you must all recognize my superstitious nature by now.) But recently I have been extremely skeptical about the intentions of God or the Universe or Fate or whatever you want to call it. I am, after all, not finding any success in some very elemental parts of my life.

Let us step back for a moment. In the book "The Artist's Way" the concept of the Universe supporting you once you begin to find your artistic/creative path is woven into the mentality that you should free yourself to be a creative individual. It is this mentality that lead me back to photography. This mentality that convinced me I could pursue a Master's degree. But the concept also contains a belief that doors will begin to open, you will meet the right person at the right time, be given a chance to take the next step, find the next project, and make a difference. I know it may seem like a philosophy of manna from heaven, but the book makes no excuses for you and requires hard work and dedication to follow suit with recovering your artistic self.

Hard work I am good at. Pursuing the next project, continuing to follow the signs, allowing myself to be open to the possibilities - those things I can do with ease, now. Finding the right people? Being presented with the right doors? Those would be the things I seem to be having trouble with. I applied for a job in an amazing school, had excellent communication, positive feedback, was scheduled for an interview, and then they hired someone else. Before I even had the chance to introduce myself. I have been rejected by several magazines for several articles now. I have yet to sell a fine art print. Hence the overarching question of whether or not this path is right, or if there is a higher power, or a driving force, or any sort of reward for those who are persistent, dedicated, authentic, and honest.

Today I was thinking about expanding my interaction with the artistic world at large. There is one woman in particular that I have been fascinated with since I was first introduced to her work a couple of sessions ago by Tim. Thinking about being the operative language. I wanted to start conceptualizing how to contact her. What I should do, what I should say, how I should go about communicating without gushing, how to introduce myself without sounding arrogant, etc., etc. Instead, however, I opened an email to begin a draft to her that I could puzzle over and peruse for the next several days and, out of nowhere, my computer, evil little devil that she is, decided to send the email with a subject line that had two words. Only. Nothing else.

Great. So, I decided that I would test this whole theory of "everything happens for a reason" and I decided to send her a real email. One that apologized for my lack of technical abilities (hence the first email being sent) and that also introduced myself, said hello, and explained that I find her to be inspiring. I feel like an idiot.

So, I guess we will see what the Universe has in store, if anything. Keep your fingers crossed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello World!

Recognize the Wins

Carl Sagan